Sunday, October 19, 2008

Burton feeling fabulous in his 40s

MARTINSVILLE, Va. (AP) -- He's 41 years old and contending for the Sprint Cup championship that at one time seemed all but inevitable, and Jeff Burton is feeling better than ever.

Age, he said, is not a problem -- at least not yet.


"At some point it does become a disadvantage," he said. "There's no getting around that. I truly believe that at 41 I'm a better driver than at 25. Now, was I a good enough driver at 25? That's for someone else to decide, but I believe that I'm better at 41 than I was at 25."

Burton, once considered the brightest young talent in Jack Roush's stable, has been close in the championship race several times, but has never been able to finish it off.

He said he has no idea how much longer he'll feel at the top of his game.

"Physically our sport allows someone, if you take care of yourself and you're committed, you can be successful in this sport well into your 40's," he said. "I have no concerns about being in my mid-40s being able to be competitive. None whatsoever."

Burton said he's learned from watching people like his father, an avid tennis player, and former Roush teammate Mark Martin that years can be overcome by hard work and resolve.

Plus, he said, his perspective is better than it has ever been.

"I can only speak for myself and what my experience brings to me," he said. "I think the biggest thing it brings to me is the perspective of what we're trying to do here and a calmness that I've never had in my life. The age that I am to me is a great thing.

"I love the age that I am."

Burton will start second in Sunday's Tums Quikpak 500.

------

SPEED DEMON: Scott Speed, a former Formula One driver now trying his hand at NASCAR, was the top finishing rookie Saturday in the Kroger 200 Craftsman Truck Series race despite starting from the back of the 36-truck field. He rallied to cross the finish line seventh.

"Honestly, I think we conserved a lot more than everyone else the whole race," he said. "It's kind of easy to do in the truck series. I think everyone charges so hard for so long that by the end normally their stuff is worn out. We were able to ride along for a bit and keep the tires on the thing and they were there good for the end."

------

THAT'S A RELIEF: Count Matt Kenseth among the drivers who were relieved when rain washed out qualifying Friday and caused the field to be set according to the point standings.

He's never been fond of time trials at the track, where his best starting position in 17 previous races here was a 14th in 2003, and where he typically starts near the back.

"Yesterday was probably the best Friday we've ever had at Martinsville," Kenseth said between practice sessions Saturday. "We qualified 11th because of the rain."

------

PIT STOP: David Ragan crashed his primary car in the first practice session on Saturday and will be driving his backup car in the Tums Quikpak 500 on Sunday.