Saturday, August 13, 2011

Clarke to make Nationwide debut

Clarke to make Nationwide debut

British driver Dan Clarke will make his debut in a NASCAR series when he races in the Nationwide event at Watkins Glen this weekend.

The 27-year-old was hoping to compete in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series this year, but that plan was canned after a sponsor setback.

He had competed in the SCCA Pro Racing Pirelli World Challenge last weekend at Mid-Ohio.

Clarke will finally make his stock car debut this weekend, however, after securing a deal to race with the #52 Chevrolet from Means Racing.

"This is a great moment for me," said Clarke. "I've enjoyed a lot of success in Open-wheel formula racing but I've wanted to try the NASCAR route for a while now.

"I thought I would be racing full-time this year in Canadian Stock cars but that didn't work out and I had to move on. Now I have a shot at the NASCAR Nationwide series which is an even bigger opportunity and I have butterflies in my stomach thinking about the weekend."