Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Trulli says NASCAR test 'just for fun'

Trulli says NASCAR test just for fun

Jarno Trulli says his upcoming NASCAR test should not be taken as a sign that he is considering a switch to the American stock car racing series.

The Toyota Formula 1 driver will try a Michael Waltrip Racing Toyota Sprint Cup car at Lakeland's International Speedway in November.

But Trulli, who is considered unlikely to stay on at Toyota next year, said he had requested the test because he was intrigued by NASCAR but had no intention of racing in the championship.

"Last year I had the chance to visit a NASCAR race at Michigan, which was a really interesting experience for me," said Trulli, who is believed to have attended other NASCAR races to follow former F1 rival Juan Pablo Montoya's progress.

"NASCAR is one of the most significant motorsport series in the world and I was very curious to see the racing first hand.

"At the time I asked the Toyota guys in the US if it would be possible to one day test a car just for fun and before the Belgian Grand Prix they offered me the chance to do so later in the year.

"After getting approval from team management at Panasonic Toyota Racing, I was able to confirm that I can take part in a two-day test in November."

He insisted that he intends to remain in F1 in 2010.

"I want to stress that this is purely an opportunity to experience another category of motorsport for personal enjoyment," said Trulli. "My commitment is 100 per cent to Formula 1."

Former F1 driver Mika Salo - who is eyeing a NASCAR career - will test for Waltrip alongside Trulli next month.

Salgado relishes Rovers chancePiquet to test NASCAR truck