Saturday, February 28, 2009

Busch not ruling out Formula One opportunities

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Formula One was never on Kyle Busch's radar as he chased his dream of being a NASCAR superstar.

That doesn't mean he wouldn't consider a legitimate opportunity to join the globe-hopping series.


"I toss the idea around," he said Friday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway. "It's definitely something I wouldn't shoot down, but I don't think it's the right time yet in my career and where I'm at."

Busch is in his second season with Joe Gibbs Racing, where he's emerged as one of NASCAR's most talented drivers. It has landed him on Peter Windsor's wish list of potential drivers for a planned U.S.-based Formula One team.

Windsor, one of two businessmen behind the effort to field USF1 in 2010, mentioned Busch's name earlier this week as an American driver the team would like to hire. Busch, who is signed with JGR through 2010, said he's not been contacted by the team.

Should they call -- or any other F1 team-- he'd be willing to someday listen.

"It's something that I'd love to give a shot at one day," he said. "It was never on my radar. Open-wheel stuff wasn't, but it's something that I wouldn't mind trying. I wouldn't mind trying IndyCars and running the Indianapolis 500 or Formula One. It's not quite the time for me to do that yet.

"If I could win a championships here in the next two or three years, then I wouldn't mind going over there and doing that, trying it for a few years and coming back. I think I'd still be young enough that if I could win a championship by 25, go run Formula One for a few years, be back by 28. I still have plenty of time left to run in NASCAR."

Juan Pablo Montoya made the move from Formula One to NASCAR, and said Busch's lack of experience in open-wheel cars would make a potential move difficult.

"He grew driving these things, and open wheel is very different," Montoya said. "He would have a very hard transition. He runs very well on the ovals. He does a very good job on the road courses. But it is a different car, it is a different animal."

Busch had an opportunity to drive an F1 car last December through Toyota, but had to pass on the demonstration because of a scheduling conflict with NASCAR's Nationwide Series awards ceremony.

------

BIFFLE'S BETTER MOOD: Greg Biffle was extremely hard on himself last week after running over an air hose during a late pit stop at California, a mistake he believed cost him a chance at the victory.

"I don't know how I'm going to sleep tonight. I'm just sick to my stomach. It almost brings tears to my eyes to know that I let the guys down like I did," he said after his fourth-place finish.

With a fresh start in front of him this weekend at Las Vegas, Biffle said Friday he probably went overboard in beating himself up about the gaffe.

"I think when you first get out of the car, you're really upset about it," he said. "But probably after Tuesday, I quit thinking about it. I certainly exaggerated what my feeling were. We had a really good car, and it's tough when you have to go home not winning a race like that."

Biffle was third here in 2008, and likes his chances because he's more comfortable on the track since it was resurfaced in 2006.

------

FAN FORUMS: Speedway Motorsports Inc. plans to host fan forums at all 13 of its Sprint Cup races this season in an effort to bring NASCAR's drivers closer to their supporters.

The "PRN Up To Speed" program will feature NASCAR drivers fielding questions from the Performance Racing Network's on-air personalities in an emcee question-and-answer format. They'll be held on the Speed TV's stage and will be in a free access area.

"This might be the biggest no-brainer that we've ever put into motion," said Marcus Smith, president and chief operating officer of SMI. "We've always operated with a fans first philosophy and fans love to see and hear from their favorite drivers. So, we're inviting the drivers, owners and other racing personalities to come out during our race weekends and interact with the fans. Giving our fans even more for their dollar is something we strive for every year."

The new event will debut Sunday at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, and Kyle Busch, Jeff Gordon and Richard Childress will be the first guests.


Busch brothers top qualifying at home track
Valencia Players Will Keep Their Focus Despite Wage Troubles - Unai Emery
Atlético Madrid’s Johnny Heitinga Unconcerned By Criticism