Thursday, May 22, 2008

Notebook: Wheeler-Smith parting not amicable

CONCORD, N.C. (AP) -- The day after Lowe's Motor Speedway president Humpy Wheeler announced he was retiring, the frostiness continued with his boss, Speedway Motorsports CEO Bruton Smith.

Wheeler acknowledged Thursday while it was his decision step down after 33 years at the track, he wanted to stay on in a part-time role. Smith desired a clean break, and the 69-year-old Wheeler will leave after Sunday's Coca-Cola 600.
"Next year is the (track's) 50th anniversary," Wheeler said. "I don't want to work full time until next year, but I could have played some role. But it wasn't to be."

Just as Smith skipped Wheeler's retirement news conference Wednesday, Wheeler was absent from Smith's announcement Thursday that his company had purchased Kentucky Speedway. Smith declined to answer a question about Wheeler's legacy as one of NASCAR's top promoters.

"I might be able to answer that for you later," Smith said. "See, this is all about Kentucky Speedway. That's what I'm here for."

Wheeler plans to write a book and host a television show. He said he'd entertain jobs consulting for NASCAR and the new NASCAR Hall of Fame in Charlotte, although he doesn't want a full-time job.

Wheeler, who insisted he's healthy, said it was time to go after working decades for the demanding Smith. The two have a relationship that dates 50 years.

"I wouldn't say there was a falling out," Wheeler said. "We had some differences of opinion, but that's normal. I'm not a yes man. Good management should be able to argue back and forth. That's what makes good companies.

"I just got to a point where I felt like I needed to move on. I hated it. I love this place. But I can still promote and advise people on how to do things and not have to work full time. I was tired of the day-to-day grind more than anything else."

------

WHAT'S HIS NAME: AJ Allmendinger's first NASCAR victory in Saturday's Sprint Showdown came after he put Elliott Sadler into the wall. After getting knocked out of the race, an angry Sadler referred to Allmendinger as "what's his name."

Allmendinger said he called Sadler this week to apologize.

"He didn't call me back," Allmendinger said. "I don't know if he knew who it was because I did say, 'This is what's his name' when I left the message. So I'm not sure if he knew who it was. I've done what I can. I've apologized enough and now I'm just focused on this week."

Sadler said he had no desire to chat.

"I've got better things to do and more things to worry about than talking to him," Sadler said.

Allmendinger's win in his No. 84 Toyota earned him a spot in the All-Star race, where he finished 17th. Allmendinger is trying to get into the top 35 in the points standings so he doesn't have to qualify on speed for every race.

"It gives me a lot of confidence to know that I can go out there in a race situation and get the job done," Allmendinger said.

------

FRANCHITTI UPDATE: Dario Franchitti plans to get back inside his car next week for the two-day test at Pocono Raceway, but he's unsure if he'll be ready to race at Dover next weekend.

Franchitti broke his left foot in a crash at Talladega last month and will miss his fifth straight race this weekend. Sterling Marlin is filling in for Franchitti for a second consecutive race.

"I'd like to get more comfortable, see how we are for Dover," Franchitti said Thursday as he proudly displayed his foot, which no longer has a protective boot on it.

Franchitti, the defending Indianapolis 500 winner, recently visited his old friends at the track and said he wasn't overcome with desire to climb back into an open-wheel car.

"I didn't have that feeling," Franchitti said. "So that shows me I made the right choice and am looking forward to getting back in the car."

------

DIVERSITY: In another effort to diversify NASCAR, Michael Waltrip Racing and Toyota will offer a one-year apprenticeship for a minority to work on Waltrip's cars.

The person selected will work in a technical position in North Carolina. It comes as NASCAR continues to be criticized for its lack of a black or female driver in Sprint Cup.

"Diversity is something that is very hard to just make happen," Waltrip said. "Diversity happens over time."

NASCAR's recent popularity surge has brought new fans. Former Formula One driver Juan Pablo Montoya of Colombia is in his second year in Sprint Cup, while Japan-based Toyota entered the NASCAR's top series last year.

"I'm proud that Juan Pablo showed up. That brought us more fans. Toyota showed up. That brought us more fans," Waltrip said. "Every day that goes by people become more and more aware that this is sport is worldly. It's not just something we do in the South."

------

LUG NUTS: On the same day Bruton Smith announced the purchase of Kentucky Speedway, he said he has no interest in purchasing Nashville Superspeedway in Lebanon, Tenn. "I've been there and looked at that," Smith said. "I said, 'This has no sex appeal.' It didn't appeal to me at all." ... Smith reiterated he has no plans to reopen the shuttered speedway he owns in North Wilkesboro, N.C. "The place is for sale," Smith said. "I'd love to get rid of it." ... Josh Wise, scheduled to make his second Nationwide Series start here on Saturday, hit the wall on the first lap of practice Thursday. ... Jason Leffler (178.641 mph) was the fastest in Nationwide practice. Qualifying is Saturday afternoon.


Panthers’ Smith to Jarrett: ‘You’re here to play’
Patriots sign TE Pollard, P Player, DL Smith
AJ wins first NASCAR race in Sprint Showdown
SAFER barriers going into Lowe’s backstretch